Back to News
July 09, 2012
Stephens Ranks Second in Nation for "Most Productive Brokers of 2011"
Stephens Inc.'s Equity Research Team recently received accolades at the 2011 Financial Times/StarMine Analyst Awards. The company ranked second in the nation for "Most Productive Brokers of 2011", an award that recognizes firms that have earned the highest number of individual analyst awards relative to the total number of qualifying analysts in their firm.
The annual FT/StarMine Analyst Awards also named the nation's top-performing stock pickers and earnings estimatorsfor 2011; nine Stephens' analyst won twelve awards, including four first place finishes. Top stock pickers were ranked according to how stock recommendations performed relative to their industry benchmarks. Earnings estimator awards recognized analysts who were more accurate (and timely) than their peers in forecasting earnings.
Among the analysts recognized:
- Farha Aslam was named the top stock picker and second best earnings estimator in the Food Products sector. Ms. Aslam also recently appeared in The Wall Street Journal's "Best on the Street" survey, and she has been previously recognized by the Financial Times/StarMine. She is a Managing Director, who joined Stephens Inc. in 2004 and currently leads the firm’s food and agribusiness equity research coverage out of the New York office.
- Chris Cooley, CFA, was ranked third among stock pickers in the Healthcare Equipment & Supplies sector. Mr. Cooley also recently received accolades in The Wall Street Journal's "Best on the Street", and was previously awarded in 2009 by the Financial Times/StarMine. Mr. Cooley joined Stephens' Little Rock office in 2010 as a Managing Director focusing on the medical device and hospital supply sector.
- Scott Gleason was ranked the third-best earnings estimator in the Healthcare Equipment & Supplies sector. A senior vice president, Mr. Gleason leads the medical diagnostics group. He joined Stephens Inc.'s Little Rock office in 2005.
- Trey Grooms was ranked third among stock pickers and earnings estimators within the Construction Materials sector. He is a Managing Director, specializing in the building materials and construction services industries. Mr. Grooms joined Stephens Inc.'s Little Rock office in 2001.
- Barry McCarver was named the third-best earnings estimator in the Diversified Telecom Services sector. Mr.McCarver is a senior vice president, who has established the firm's telecom services practice. He joined Stephens in 1998, and works at the Little Rock office.
- Will Slabaugh was ranked the top earnings estimator in the FT/Starmine's Restaurants category. Mr. Slabaugh is a vice president, and has been working at Stephens' Little Rock office since 2007.
"Over the last five years, our Equity Research Department has increased its footprint 50+%- — we now cover close to 400 companies with nearly 30 senior analysts and over 30 research associates. However, growth is not our primary goal--our highest priority for each research industry team is ‘owning the information flow’ withinrespective industry sectors. Our teams are viewed as the thought leaders on the Street, offering proprietary calls on the industry and its participants, and ultimately making our clients money as they invest in stocks we recommend. This recognition, on the heels of our recent WSJ award winners, further illustrates that we are meeting our primary objective," commented Nik Fisken, EVP & Director of Research at Stephens Inc.